In the interests of protecting our staff, trainers and you, our clients, we will be suspending all instructor-led training from 15th July 2020 until it is safe again.
Our company is working remotely to serve our clients and we are still offering courses via webinar. If you feel your online course didn’t meet that standard, you are welcome to re-attend your course in class when we re-open.
Increasingly, businesses around the world have become more interconnected, and companies have to think more globally in order to succeed. Despite economic ties with foreign nations, countries can be ill-prepared for doing business abroad, lacking the knowledge and sensitivity to adjust their business behavior to different cultural contexts.
This course will provide you with strategies to communicate effectively across cultures.
|Delivery Method||Duration||Price (excl. VAT)|
|Fulltime||1 Day||R 2,299.00|
|Webinar||1 Day||R 1,849.00|
Save up to 10% by booking and paying 10 business days before the course.
This course is for individuals who need to communicate clearly and effectively while conducting business in cultures other than their own.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
You may find the following courses beneficial:
Course Outline / Curriculum
What is Culture?
Culture is a learned set of assumptions that shape our perceptions of the world, and of appropriate values, norms, attitudes, and behaviours.
It is based upon learned ideas about:
· Religious Practices
· Sexual Orientation
· Physical appearance and ability
· Regional and national characteristics
Case Study: Canada
Canada is a cultural polyglot. It has over two hundred different ethnicities living within its borders. This results in a great deal of diversity from language to architecture.
We will look at how culture impacts on business as cultural assumptions and expectations determine both the form and the content of every business interaction.
High Context vs low Context cultures – explained.
Values, Beliefs and Practices
Values and beliefs are intrinsic to cultural understanding. Although many values are universal there are equally many which are not. It is important to understand these discrepancies in both personal and business interactions.
Communication that is made without the use of the spoken or written word and is culturally specific.
· Spatial Arrangements
Time: the methods by which time is kept and the approach to punctuality differs between cultures. It is best to understand that some cultures place different emphasis on time.
Oral Communication is also open to cultural interpretation. We will examine the following areas:
· Understatement and Exaggeration
Writing to International Audiences
Understand the differences in expectations of formality when writing to international or varied audiences.
With so many cultures, how can I know enough to communicate?
· Awareness that cultural expectations are not necessarily right or wrong.
· Remain flexible and open to change
· Sensitivity to verbal and nonverbal behaviour
How Can I make my Documents Bias Free?
Make Language non-sexist:
· Words and Phrases
· Job Titles
Making Language Non-Racist and Non-ageist
· Do not refer to age or race unless necessary.
· Use PC or preferred terms to describe a group
· Avoid terms that suggest they are unusual
Disabilities and Diseases:
· Describe the person not the condition
· Avoid negative terms
Choosing Bias free photos
Schedule Dates and Booking
There are currently no scheduled dates.
Please note that this course needs a minimum of 6 delegates to schedule a course. You can choose to be added to the waiting list by clicking the button below and we will contact you when we have enough delegates interested. Should we not get enough delegates, we will refund or credit your paid booking.
Should you need this course urgently, the following options are available:
- Pay for 6 delegates (whether you have them or not) and we will schedule the course as soon as possible.
- If you have fewer delegates and cannot pay for 6, we can negotiate a shortened course where some of the time will be spent in blended learning - watching videos and doing tutorials and exercises with some contact time with the trainer. We would want to discuss what your core needs are so that we cover those aspects. You need to have paid for 3 delegates at least.